Like many personal blogs of its era, this blog is moribund, a casualty of what we might call "the Facebook effect." However, as of late 2015, two things are clear: (1) The Indie Web is a thing, and (2) the re-decentralization of the web is a thing. So who knows?
2016 2017 2018 (!) could be the year this blog rises from its own ashes. Stay tuned!
Wednesday, 20 September 2006
- ITEM: The neatest photograph you’ll see on the Web today.
- ITEM: “American Buddhism on the rise” sez the Christian Science Monitor.
- ITEM: It made me cry: Brother-sister Holocaust survivors find each other after 65 years. (Thanks, KW!)
- ITEM: A good take on the disgusting torture debate in Washington. “Who would Jesus attack with dogs?”
- ITEM: Heard on the radio this morning: A rockin’, twangy country remake of Snoop Dogg’s “Gin and Juice” by The Gourds. (Thanks, KALX!)
- ITEM: The Knack is suing Run DMC for sampling “My Sharona” in “It’s Tricky” — 20 years ago.
- ITEM: I don’t remember this at all: The original video for “It’s Tricky” features Penn and Teller!
Monday, 20 March 2006
- ITEM: Jon Carroll writes with unusually strong language this morning about those who oppose gay families, and hits it out of the park.
- ITEM: An MP3 recording of what you heard all across the FM dial in NYC the night John Lennon was murdered.
- ITEM: Michael Crichton in the NY Times: “This Essay Breaks the Law”
Friday, 17 March 2006
- ITEM: “Enough is enough. I’ve had it with these snakes.”
- ITEM: “It made me feel phenomenal. It has changed my life… . I didn’t need it. It helped someone who … needed it. “
- ITEM: Slate on Groceries #1: An Insider’s Guide to Trader Joe’s (for curious New Yorkers — who got their first TJ’s today)
- ITEM: Slate on Groceries #2: Is Whole Foods Wholesome?
Tuesday, 14 March 2006
- ITEM: The Buddha Boy has gone missing. Perhaps he needed greater peace. (Or perhaps it was all bogus from the beginning.)
- ITEM: The money connection: Nepal freezes assets collected by local committee handling Buddha Boy crowds.
- ITEM: Slate answers the question “My eyeball just fell out of its socket — what should I do?” (My own answer would be FREAK OUT like you’ve never freaked out before.)
- ITEM: Former host of “Press Your Luck” killed in small plane crash. (I hope the investigation rules out sabotage by the Whammy.)
Monday, 06 March 2006
- ITEM: Crime’s up in Oakland
- ITEM: Walter Cronkite’s speech to the Drug Policy Alliance
- ITEM: Classical learning curves for some common text editors (I love the one for vi, but that’s probably because I’ve learned vi!)
- ITEM: Porkchop Sandwiches! (I incapacitated a colleague with this video earlier today — use headphones if you’re at work…)
Friday, 17 February 2006
- ITEM: I’ve always thought that Segways are kinda ridiculous and would only be worthwhile if we actually tore down and rebuilt our cities to take proper advantage of them. Now Segway inventor Dean Kamen is back with a couple of ideas that could very definitely change the world.
- ITEM: Homeland Security cop-thugs are protecting us all from … pornography.
- ITEM: Homeland Security cop-thugs are also interested in the stickers you put on your car.
- ITEM: Here’s a shocker: Wal-Mart’s CEO, H. Lee Scott Jr., is kind of an asshole.
- ITEM: reddit.com is without a doubt the best “what’s new and/or interesting on the Web” resource I’ve yet encountered.